Alexander Technique - An Interview

Written for www.4clubbers.net - 31 May, 2010

Alexander Technique is a Brooklyn based DJ, producer and head of the DJs Are Not Rockstars record label and parties. He has had a very successful remix career and DJs all over the world.

Hey there! How are you doing today and where in the world are you?
Well hello…I’m doing just fine and right now I’m in Brooklyn working on a crazy new track!

There have been various collaborations between yourself and other artists throughout your career, namely and more recently Larry Tee and Kassiano… Is there anyone you would like to work with whom you haven't already?
I would actually really like to do a collaboration with MK & Todd Terry.

What inspires you to come up with the tracks that you produce? Do you and whoever you are working with just get some beers and get into the studio or is there more of a formal process to it?
It’s actually pretty spontaneous; if I’m working with someone we usually get into the studio and listen to a couple of tracks that we love, get inspired and just take it from there, nothing to it really.

What was your vision when starting up your label 'DJ's are not Rockstars'?

My vision was to start a label where I could release some really awesome electronic music with no boundaries; a label where I could release House, Techno, Dubstep, Progressive and Downtempo all under one umbrella. I really thought there was a need for this because most of the labels popping up are limiting themselves to one type of sound, which is cool as well but why limit your self when there are so many other great forms of music out there.

Any artists on the label whom you are tipping for big things this summer?
For sure; I think Lauren Flax is gonna hit hard, or hold on, let me re-phrase that, "hit even harder" this coming year. She is mega talented and mega sweet and you can't beat that. Wait til you here her track with Kelli Scarr, it’s so amazing! Then we have my boys from Paris "Perfect Loosers", and they’re bringing some really insane tracks as well, I’m also really excited about having Beckwith - this guy is pure fire, that’s all I have to say!

You have worked on remixes for some pop records by artists like La Roux and Little Boots, is there anyone else from the pop world you would like to work with?

I would really love to work with Madonna one day even if it’s just doing a remix for her.

I read that your musical roots are steeped in hip hop, funk, soul, disco and your parents got you your first set of turntables! Who was your idol when you started DJing etc? Who do you look up to/respect/admire?

I would have to say Todd Terry, Green Velvet, MK, Armand Van Helden, Roc Raida, Mix Master Mike, Red Alert, DJ Premier, Pete Rock & Stretch Armstrong, my biggest idol was Q-Bert - he was nasty, nobody could do what he was doing at that time.



The new compilation album 'DJ's are Not Rockstars Vol 1' fuses together a diverse range of genres, and it seems that you have been pioneering the 'mash-up' mentality for many years...these days it is a lot more likely to hear a wide range of genres within one set, where do you see your musical direction going over the next few years?
I’m gonna have to wait and see that myself!

What do you think of the state of producing today?

I love the state of producing we are in today. There is just so much technology coming out that the possibilities are endless. I do all my tracks on my laptop with tons of plug-ins; there is really no need for a big studio anymore, you can do it all while flying to your next gig, which is awesome.

As so much music can be found pirated online – this is surely killing things he industry, what are your thoughts on this?
It is what it is and it’s only killing the majors that never let any of the little guys shine anyway!

Where do you think it will lead the music industry?
I don't think it’s going a bad direction at all; it’s definitely changing but I see more positive then negative things coming out of all this!

There are a lot of new producers, a lot of new music released everyday, but do you think things will over saturate soon?
I have seen a lot of producers and DJs come and go. If you believe in what you do, you play your cards right, you’re loyal and you have a good solid team behind you, then you can definitely make it in this industry - good teamwork matters! Sometimes it may take longer then others but steadiness will get you where you want to be. I don't think it will over saturate at all, no matter how much technology we have you still need talent in order to put something good together.

Do you try to keep up with new music releases? And if so how do you find the time?
Yes, I get loads of new music in my inbox and usually take an hour out of my day to listen. Hype Machine keeps me well informed as well!

Any plans to tour the UK any time soon? Where is the craziest place you have ever played?
Oh yeah, I have my eyes on the UK - watch out! The craziest place I ever played was for my good friend Joost Van Bellen in Amsterdam - that dude knows how to throw a party!

Where have you just played and how was that?
I just played in Paris last week for the "Perfect Loosers" release party with Buraka Som Sistema, Larry Tee and Tombstone. It was out of this world!

Technology is moving fast, and in the world of the DJ it seems to move even quicker, how have things changed for you, and what pieces of technology are you loving at the moment?
Well for one, I don't use records anymore. I never thought in a million years that would happen, but it did and we have to move with the times or stay behind and try to convince a bunch of ravers that there is a big difference between vinyl and digital… lol! I heard that Serato is going to release a new version of the software with Ableton Live integrated in it… now that excites me!

What's your ideal DJing set up these days?

2 Pioneer CDJs, a Pioneer Mixer and Serato…that’s all I need!

What are the best and worst things about being Alexander Technique?
The best thing about being me is that I really love my life and love doing what I do, I tend to find a positive side to everything. There is no worst thing about being me really… lol!

You seem to have a lot on your plate with the studio work, the label and DJing, do you get much time to chill out? What do you do to relax?
No matter what I always try to spend time with my family at least once a week, and for relaxing, I like to sleep long hours and get massages.

No comments:

Post a Comment