Lee Van Dowski - An Interview

An interview for www.4clubbers.net


Hi Lee, how are you today? What are you up to?
I`m super fine thank you. Having a crazy December month, touring a lot.

You are seeing in the New Year behind the decks at the Mint Club in Leeds, have you ever played there before? You seem to play gigs that span right across Europe, where is your favourite place to play? (you do not have to say UK out of obligation by the way, although we are all pretty cool over here!)
I actually played for the first time at mint last January and I`m very happy to finish the year there. Last time I played was really amazing, I love the club, super sound system, perfect size and great crowd! Really looking forward to this new year day, I`m honored to celebrate it there! My favorite place to play? Hmmmm have to say that Panorama bar is a special place I always feel at home and free to do what I want there, besides that, my top 6 this year are: Alteborse in Zurich, Mad in Lausanne, Mint in Leeds, Weetamix in Geneva, Cocorico in Riccione, Guendalina in Lecce.

Do you see a difference in response to your music depending on the country you play in? Your musical style is extremely diverse, do you find you adapt this depending on what country you are in or what crowd you are playing to?
Well, the country is not really the point, people in clubs have needs so I always try to adapt myself to the crowd, trying to find what they are up to.

As a producer, you do not confine yourself to one genre and whilst one record can be a stomping minimal techno track, the next can be a deep house record with soulful vocals. What inspires you to go in a certain direction when you are producing? Does it just depend on how you are feeling at the time?
Obvisously, my mood is definitely playing a big role in my productions, everything surrounding me can be an inspiration. I’m trying to not restrict myself in a certain sound or trend, I want to be open and free, that keeps myself exciting with what I do, I would be bored otherwise.

What do you have in the pipeline, production wise in 2010?
I have a single in February on Voltage music with a remix from The Glitz, and I’m actually working on an album, so I ‘ll release less singles than I used to this year.

Who do you respect and admire in the DJing and producing world? What kind of non electronic music do you listen to? Do you have any favourite bands/groups/musicians?
I really can’t answer this question. My taste goes from ambient, rock, pop, idm, house, techno, R&B, blues etc. I listen to everything and I admire each artists who touch me with his music.

You were part of the Cadenza records collective `Æther`; the audio visual experience conducted by Luciano. How did you find that and how was it different to playing a usual set in a club? Was this a one off project or will Æther be carrying in in 2010?
Bringing 6 artists plus a percussionist on stage with a visual team, all synchronised, was tough but interesting. Most of us are playing live or DJing all year alone, so to be able to tour and rehearse for almost 3 month all together was a great and intense experience, we are all very good friends and all gigs have been big fun.
 This tour was like a big rehearsal and we learnt a lot about it, as we had to make a lot of compromises technically wise, it took a while for everybody to find their marks and to feel comfy. It’s a big challenge and we will work to push it further for the next tour.

Loving your Ibiza Voice Podcast from earlier this year by the way! Did you spend any time in Ibiza this year? What are your opinions on the place? As the hub of electronic music and European party people in summertime is it somewhere that you spend much time, if any?
Oh, thank you. Well, I only go there when I play somewhere, I played two times last summer at the zoo project and at Ushuaia.. i like the island even if I never stay longer enough to visit it properly, I’ll try to spend much time there next summer.The good thing with Ibiza is that you always bump into friends you never see during winter… and then you crash into neverending parties.

What do you like doing when you aren`t DJing or in the studio? What happens in a typical day for Lee Van Dowski?
During the week, I get up around 7am every morning and prepare the breakfats for my kids and I bring them to school at 8.30. Then I’m back home and start to work till school ends. I have a very regular life in the week, I think it really saves me from the weekend madness.


Where can you see youself in 10 years time? Do you think you`ll still be travelling the world and DJing? Could you pick which part of your job you enjoy the most? DJing? Producing?
I hope I’ll still travel, I like it a lot, when I have a weekend off, I miss the airports, the excitement of going to play somewhere, meeting people, seeing happy faces on a the dance floor. I feel so lucky to live from what I love most. DJing and Producing are 2 very opposite things in the end, producing is a really studious and meticulous job, you need to concentrate, and spend a lot of time alone, listening to loops and designing sounds for hours. DJing is the fun part, but you can’t really disassociate them, the goal is to make people dance.


Christmas is just around the corner, what are your plans this year?
I have a busy month, and unfortunatly I won’t be home for Christmas, but I’ll celebrate it with my family when I’m back. My kids did a very huge list to santa claus this year, hope he brings them everything they`ve asked for.


Finally, do you have any more UK tour dates planned for 2010? It would be great to see you play down here in London! For now I have no plans to play in UK in 2010, but it’s still early. I hope to come to London very soon.



Check out the Lee Van Dowski`s MySpace page for all the info on music, dates and more - http://www.myspace.com/leevandowskiAnd he`s playing in Leeds for New Year`s Eve at The Mint club, full details here : http://www.themintclub.com/ Copyright © 4clubbers.net - All rights reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment